What we do
Re-Live Waste focuses on the development of an effective management technique for nutrients in excess within circular economy activities. In particular, it tests innovative plants to recover nitrogen and phosphorous under the form of a precious struvite-based fertilizer. Sereco, that is the project partner responsible for the drafting of the preliminary feasibility studies for each area under study, will implement and test four pilot plants devoted to the transformation and precipitation on struvite from livestock slurry. The activities will not only involve the research institutions and the production facilities that joined the project, but also additional local partners, based on the conviction that a circular economy requires the involvement and support of multiple stakeholders and may only be developed effectively only with the feedback of all interested parties.
After the effectiveness analysis of the pilot phase, the project will disseminate its results across all the Interreg Med area, educating local communities and training operators.
The involvement of local and national institutions will be crucial for the successful transfer of knowledge and adjustment of agricultural and industry-related policies
By stimulating private actors in the adoption of innovations for the profitable re-use of waste deriving from the livestock productive chain and supporting public actors in the formulation of policies that recognize struvite as fertilizer and incentive the adoption of innovations tested, the project seeks to obtain the following results:
- 3 Small-scale pilot plants for the production of valuable fertilizers installed and functioning; 1 existing Small-scale pilot plant upgraded with the introduction of technical innovations
- Non-financial support provided to enterprises: support SMEs in adopting and testing innovations: Technical training sessions and exchange visits; Evaluation activities of the pilot actions and the comparative analysis
- SMEs capacity improved in successfully requesting for grants financing innovative investments: Information sharing on grants opportunities and relevant policies; Networking activities with 4-helix actors, that will favor partnership building
- Constitution of a transnational network to create synergies with innovation clusters
- Provided support to policies formulation that can incentive innovation adoption: elaboration of policies guidelines, which will be presented and discussed during regional thematic round tables . These policies should include recognition of Struvite fertilizer in the EU legislation, as well as incentives as fiscal incentives, tax breaks, rewarding criteria for innovative SMEs and clusters